Breaking Up With Butter


Relationships are tough stuff.
Even though some may come more naturally than others, there’s always some speed bump to conquer. I’m sure that anyone who really knows me would agree that my relationship with Adam has had paaaaalenty of ‘em.
One constant in my life, though – and boy has it been constant – is my relationship with my kitchen. Or my pantry. Fridge. Or my favorite – a sit-down restaurant. Yep. It happened to me. MOI.
Nevertheless, I’m a firm believer that I can do anything I set my mind to do, so I’ve started the workout/torture program P90X.  Today is Week 3 Day 3 and I can finally lift the computer with minimal pain. That’s either a step in the right direction or I’ve slacked off. 
In all honesty, it’s not the working out that I have a problem with - I don’t even mind the sore muscles – it’s those silly suggestions concerning what should compose my diet. I’m a southern gal. Food is supposed to come fried, heavy on the salt, served with a sweet tea, and followed by a ridiculously sweet cake, pie, or cobbler. Protein powder, grapefruit, and salads don’t really have a place on that menu. Well, maybe a salad if it’s served with fried chicken and bacon bits.
I’m putting my proverbial best foot forward for this one, though. It’s been ten days since I’ve had a carbonated beverage. I’ve even stopped using butter when I scramble my eggs. Toot toot ß Yeah, that was my own horn. The rockiest of all breakups- one that I’m still working through – is with my coffee creamer. I love my morning coffee, but I’ve never been one of those people who drink it for the flavor of the bean. I prefer the flavor of my International Delight.
I’ve made my decision, though, that this is my last bottle. My real regret on this matter is that my last hoorah with creamer (for a bit) isn’t glamorous or fun. It’s not Almond Joy or Italian Sweet Cream. No, it’s Kroger French Vanilla. Waaaap woooomp. 
 Yep, that’s me going out with a bang.

Comments

  1. I'm right there with you. I just broke up with french fries and potato chips. I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out this cookbook that I recently added to my collection! It's called Deceptively Delicious, it's written by Jerry Seinfeld's wife, and it's all about secretly adding vegetables into our favorite foods and keeping the flavor, well, delicious. Also, The Laughing Cow 35 calorie swiss cheeses (or any other flavor) should become, if they're not already, your new best friend. Want a grilled cheese without feeling guilty? Slap some creamy swiss on some whole wheat bread and throw it in the skillet with some Smart Balance butter and you've got an indulgence for less than 100 calories. Mac and Cheese? I've created a delicious recipe with their Sun Dried Tomato and Mozerella cheese, tomato, black beans, corn, and of course whole wheat pasta. I'm working on writing and designing my own 'healthier' cookbook. :) You can do it Janell! I'm jealous of your dedication to an exercise regiment. That's where I slack. I'll zumba every now and then and if it's not too hot I'll ride my bike, but P90x? Whew, you're a champ!! :)


    http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karyn! I've heard of Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, but hadn't heard any firsthand accounts of the recipes. I'll have to add it to my collection! I love Laughing Cow spreadable cheese- especially on a low-calorie English muffin. But to make a grilled cheese? Genius. That's so cool that you're making your own cookbook! I'm itching to do something creative with myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts