Wonder.

I've been thinking a lot about kindness.
Last week, I read the book Wonder. It was wonderful.
Sorry, couldn't help myself there.

Anyway, it's a phenomenal read. But it has a great little piece that really stuck with me.

“If every person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary - the world really would be a better place. And if you do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else, somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face of God.” 
― R.J. PalacioWonder


Kinder than is necessary. Gah.
Yes. Just yes.




I'll go ahead and say it, though.
It's hard to be kind sometimes.
Like, it's hard to be kind to dumb.
Dumb like those people riding your bumper on the highway.
            ---Yes, speedy pants, I did intentionally slow down!
Or those folks that ask endless questions.
Or the people who keeeeeeeep talking - even though it's been made it clear that the room should be silent.
Or the trying students.
Especially the trying students.

Kindness is hard.
Being kinder than necessary sounds even harder.

But it's when folks are being kinder than necessary that we - I - feel special.

Like when your sweet neighbor brings you a Lisa Frank manicure set and some stickers.

Score!




Or when you find notes from a trying student at the end of a particularly tough day.

That second one, though... ;)


I wonder when I last made someone smile.
Made their day.
Or just made them feel special.

I think I'll work on that. :)


Comments

Popular Posts