Allow Me to Vent

Stinky.
I was going to tell you just how stinky this whole break has been.
How it started off great with a trip to the beach, but quickly took a turn for the worse Christmas night.
How I washed my phone.
How I got an invisible splinter in my left index finger (it just has to be a splinter...).
How it's so sunny outside but cold and windy.
How just when LC was getting better, Adam got sick.
How I didn't get go to shopping on my break.
How LC has refused to nap for, umm, two weeks now.
How I've had to clean up behind sick folks for what feels like foreeeever.
How I tried to potty train LC, but the stomach bug had other ideas.
Stinky.

Basically, my first blog of 2018 was going to be me complaining. That's what people want to hear, right?
So overcome with the negatives of the past two weeks, I had momentarily planned to taint one of my favorite days of the year with a negative (ja)Nelly attitude.

But then I read this e-mail:

Good morning.  Welcome to 2018.

My first thought today is a simple prayer.  May we be inspired each day this year to learn, and to grow, and to serve; may we practice the discipline to do those things we ought to do and refrain from doing those things that are destructive; may we respect each person we encounter; may we waste nothing; may we reflect God's abiding love in a beautiful, broken world.

Be safe.  Be encouraged.  Be encouraging.


Andrew Westmoreland
President
Samford University

Yes.
It was just what I needed--- a redirection of my perspective and a nice slap in the face.
And that's what brings us here, dear friends. Well, the e-mail, my third cup of coffee, and a napping child (!!!).

So, let's try again:

Stinky.
-Not what I expected. 
I was going to tell you just how stinky this whole break has been.
-Well, kind of. I mean, LC did have the stomach bug....
How it started off great with a trip to the beach, but quickly took a turn for the worse Christmas night.
-Things happened that I didn't really foresee.
How I washed my phone.
-I washed my phone, but I'm thankful for multiple people loaning me phones so I don't have to pay $5K for a phone right after Christmas. 
How I got an invisible splinter in my left index finger (it just has to be a splinter...).
-Umm, yes. There's still definitely something in there. But it will come out eventually, right?
How it's so sunny outside but cold and windy.
-I'm so thankful for a warm place to stay. 
How just when LC was getting better, Adam got sick.
-At least he waited until LC was better. Could I really take care of two sick people? I mean, I'm a terrible nurse when attending to one patient, so... 
How I didn't get go to shopping on my break.
-I didn't get to go shopping, but I've still go my mad money from Christmas gifts! I'm rich!
How LC has refused to nap for, umm, two weeks now.
-There was just so much going on, I probably wouldn't want to nap either. BUT SHE'S NAPPING NOW!
How I've had to clean up behind sick folks for what feels like foreeeever.
-Y'all, my house is so clean. Even the light switches in the garage have been Cloroxed. 
How I tried to potty train LC, but the stomach bug had other ideas.
-Not sure how to positively spin that stinky situation...
Stinky.
-Interesting. 

Better.
And that's just what I'm aiming for this year: Better.

Sleepy LC snuggles this morning as we had our coffee on the couch. 



I'm setting small goals to help myself be better.
I'm not delusional enough to set a 12 month goal when I have trouble committing to setting an alarm for Saturday mornings. Instead, I have a few things I am going to try out this month. If they work, good. If they don't, well, I'll adjust the sails and proceed from there.

Things to try in January:
- Journal Three Good Things each day
- Eat no sweets (this on the heels of my Christmas Reese's Cup binge...)
- Read one book
- Cook all meals at home


While I do have my four January goals, I think I'll adopt Dr. Westmoreland's prayer for 2018:

May we be inspired each day this year to learn, and to grow, and to serve; may we practice the discipline to do those things we ought to do and refrain from doing those things that are destructive; may we respect each person we encounter; may we waste nothing; may we reflect God's abiding love in a beautiful, broken world.

Be safe.  Be encouraged.  Be encouraging.


Dr. Westmoreland, me, and my gifted gals, Amy and Andrea!

Comments

Popular Posts