Tradition Breaker

I love to eat.
I always have.
So my favorite holidays obviously have to do with food. :)

Growing up with my family as my neighbors, Thanksgiving was never an issue; we always gathered on Thanksgiving day around 11:30 to eat. Then, we'd all reconvene around supper time to eat again! Fat kid heaven, for reals!

But getting married and moving to another state really complicated things. Yes, twice the food, but quite a feat to be everywhere we wanted to be.

My very first year as an old maid, my husband broke his leg. His two major surgeries following the break were just a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. Since we weren't able to travel, my sweet mother fixed an entire Thanksgiving meal and brought it to us a couple days before the family feast. Yes, my parents are really amazing. I remember trying to find a place to order pizza on Thanksgiving day. Then trying to put up the Christmas tree. Then breaking the Christmas tree stand. Then sitting in the middle of the living room floor, bawling my eyes out because I couldn't be with my family. I'm fairly sure that the husb doesn't remember most of this, and it's probably better that way.

Since then, we've typically spent our holidays traveling to this house then that house. We're always full and happy, but dog tired.

And so this holiday season begins - we are four days away from Thanksgiving, and I'm pretty pumped to eat way too much of my mom's hashbrown casserole. Yummm...

But we won't be traveling this Thanksgiving. Nope, we've simplified things. We've gotten lazy. We're breaking tradition. We're hosting!

I'll probably still be dog tired at the end of this Thanksgiving, but I'm excited to open our little house to both of our small families. I've planned the meal (oh no no, I'm not the only one cooking! Nooo, we want to eat!), I've started cleaning, we've even bought a ham! Talk about feeling like an adult. :)

We'll see how it goes!

Comments

Popular Posts