No Pain...


-->
It’s 7 o’clock in the morning on a steamy, summer day, and I just managed to roll myself out of bed. Roll. Flop. Scoot. Whatever.

Somehow, the entire first month of summer has skipped right on by and I’ve managed to sleep in every single day. Yes, 7 o’clock is considered sleeping in.

But me being lazy is not what I came here to talk about. Not even. I came to talk about this obvious problem I have: Pain.

It seems that I only choose hobbies that end with me being in pain. Take running, for example. I’m pretty sure that during my marathon training, I was in varying degrees of pain every week. Don’t get me wrong; it was a good pain. The hey body, you just did something kind of pain, but pain nonetheless.

Since said marathon, I have been feeling the repercussions of running for almost 5 hours, so I’ve been taking it easy. BUT I’m not very good at taking it easy, and that past week I found myself in a funk.

Really, though, I’ve just been bored. So on Saturday, Adam and I decided to try something new: CrossFit!

So, A-Dubs, me, and all of our butterflies made our way to the gym for our Intro to CrossFit class where we learned about the different moves, the philosophy, yada yada yada. It was awesome.

We did a baby workout – ten whole minutes of three crazy simple moves…

1. Pull Ups – Home girl here is in no shape to do a pull-up. BUT they have these crazy big rubber bands that you hook around the bar, step in, and then it assists your puny muscles in making you think you can actually do a pull-up. But then you have to do a high-kick to get your foot out of the rubber band. And. Not. Fall.

2. Wall Balls – Squat. Pick up a 10 pound ball, throw it up in the air, catch it, repeat. But be sure you activate your hips first when you squat and be sure you go down far enough in your squat and don’t track your knees too far over your feet and throw the ball to the red line on the wall and try not to hold the ball any lower than your chest and don’t cheat yourself out of a rep because if it doesn’t touch the line it doesn’t count.

AND while you’re busy thinking of all these things, don’t let your face catch the ball.
3. Burpees – Lay on the floor. Get up. Jump up. Clap your hands overhead. Do it another 9 times.
Surrrre, this sounds easy enough. Not. After the torture of wall balls, just raising my hands overhead is hard enough.

 I thought I was going to die, but I felt amazing. Like I had conquered the world. Like I had just pulled myself out of the boredom funk. As we left the gym, I’m sure I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat. : )

And then the two days after the Baby Workout came.


And my body hurt.
Like, lifting my arms to wash my hair hurt.
Picking up my mug of coffee hurt.
Honestly, everything hurt except for my fingers.

But I’m not complaining; I signed up for it.
And I really kinda liked it.
So much that today – the first day that I can successfully bend down to pick something up off the floor in less than 5 seconds – I’m planning on going to my first real workout.

Deadlifts? Jumping Lunges? I have no idea what those things are, but I guess it’s time to find out! : )

Comments

Popular Posts