Party for One

-->
You know what’s funny?
Irony.

Like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife irony.

Like canceling your satellite program so you can save money because the cable company offers this great bundle and then you can lower you cell phone minute plan because you typically use 74 of your 700 minutes but the cell phone service provider just altered their plans and you’d actually have to pay $5 more per month to lower your usage plan irony. True story.

Or like when you’re having this party all for yourself (I sometimes throw grand pity parties) because you feel inadequate at talking to others in a group setting only to find a proverb that stops your party in its tracks. Again, true story.

I know, I know.
You must be thinking to yourself
What? Her? But she writes with such eloquence! Surely she would never have any problems finding the right words for any situation!

Sarcasm.
Hope you sensed it there in that last bit.

But alas, it is true.
I pretty much stink at making small talk.
Or sometimes just answering a simple question when in a group.

Person A: So, Janell, what did you think about that e-mail?
Me: It. Um. So, she was saying…. When I answered it to her months ago, … I thought that she was ….Yeah, it was a mess.
Person A: Ummmm, yeah.

Sadly, another true story.
Well, maybe not exactly Person A’s real response, but you get the picture.


Sometimes I wonder how in the world I even have any friends! With heart-felt articulations like that, you can imagine that I make for a pretty interesting conversation partner. 

But nevertheless, just as my party was in full-swing this morning, I flipped my little “feel better about yourself” The Grace of Encouragement calendar book to today’s date only to find the following message:

Wise is the listener who doesn’t feel compelled to fill up all the blank spaces.

 Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life

The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them.
Proverbs 20:12

Yeah.
It brought my pity party to a crashing halt.

So, sometimes it's just better to listen.
Especially when you've spent your day watching mindless television and you know your words are gonna come out as intelligible as the moms' on Toddlers & Tiaras do!


It’s ok that I don’t embody the gift of gab.
It’s ok that I sometimes formulate unintelligible responses.

Because I’m good enough.
I’m smart enough.
And doggone it, people like me. 



Comments

Popular Posts