But I don't wanna....


It’s a Saturday morning, and I’ve planted myself on the couch with a warm cup of coffee and the laptop. I’ve got the blinds open so I can watch the sky change colors as I peck away at these familiar keys. The dogs, Buddy and Gracie, are already up and at it, and I find myself periodically trying to discourage them from fighting – wouldn’t want to wake Adam.

I do cherish my morning solitude.
In a little under two hours, I fully expect to be ready and at the gym waiting for…

14.1


 About a week ago, I, for some strange reason, registered for the CrossFit Open. Honestly, the strange reason was (1) peer pressure, and (2) direct questioning from the gym owner. Anyway, the Open is where anyone around the world can complete a posted workout, enter their scores, and see where they stack up against errbody else. Ultimately, it’s to find the best of the best.

I’m not the best of the best.
But that’s not supposed to matter. This is supposed to be fun. I’m supposed to enjoy the camaraderie of completing a workout together.


When the workout was announced Thursday night, I just wanted to give up ---

Workout 14.1
10 minutes to complete as many of the following:
30 Double Unders
15 Snatches at 55 pounds

Double unders are where a jump rope passes under your feet twice in one jump.
Snatches are where you bring a 55 lb barbell from the ground to over your head.


I barely have enough coordination to jump and move my hands at the same time, let alone jump and move the rope at different rates! And snatches…. When was the last time I did one of those? Hmmm…. And this is supposed to be fun?

Ugh.
So last night, I headed out to the sports equipment store, bought my own rope, and high tailed it to the gym to get in a double under cram session.

With lots of help and encouragement, I managed to get a few double unders in the hour that I was there. A few double unders AND some exhausted calves.

Today, I completely anticipate spending the entire 10 minutes smacking myself with the rope, trying to get those 30 double unders. I’ll be shocked if I make it to the weight lifting portion of the workout! We'll see.
 

So, my coffee's all gone.
The sun is in the sky.
I guess it's time to hoist myself up off of this couch and get my already sore calves moving!

Comments

Popular Posts